Tuesday, March 23, 2010

7:42 p.m.


Whoa. Hello dinner.

I was looking for a way to do a couple of things:
1. Try millet bread
2. Use up the rest of my spinach.

I've found variations of this recipe in a few places, and what I've gathered, is that it's based on espinacas con garbanzos, a Spanish tapas dish. I used an even simpler version on which to base my own recipe (I didn't have all of the spices). Anyway, it's super easy to make, well-cheap, and if you're as in love with chickpeas as I am, you probably have the bulk of what you need already in your pantry or fridge.

I loved this dinner so much, I'm going to tell you how I made it. Here's what you need:

-A little olive oil
-Two cloves of garlic
-Cumin
-Like, half an onion, kind of.
-One can of diced tomatoes or a bunch of fresh, chopped tomatoes with a bit of cilantro or basil and some more garlic mixed in*
-One can of chickpeas
-A bunch of handfuls of spinach

Put the olive oil, onions and garlic in a pan and let simmer for about two minutes. Add your tomatoes and a teeny tiny sprinkling of cumin (depends on how hot you like things). Bring the ingredients to a simmer, cover and let simmer again for 10 minutes. Then, dump in your drained and rinsed chickpeas. Let that simmer for five minutes. I added a little Italian seasoning and basil just because I felt like it. So much simmering!

In the meantime ! Grab some bread (I used this amazing, hearty and gluten-free millet bread). Dab a little bit of olive oil or butter on one side and smoosh some garlic all over it (yummm). If you have some parmesan, sprinkle some of that on too. Stick the pan in the broiler, and don't forget about it.

Once things have simmered, it's time to add your spinach handfuls at a time. Stir in each handful until it wilts. Once all of the spinach is deliciously wilted and dark green, add a bunch of fresh-cracked pepper.**

Remember that bread? Take it out of the oven once the edges are toasted. It's time to eat! You'll have enough for about three people (or enough for a dinner, a second dinner and a lunch for tomorrow!). And then watch the newest Simpson's episode because a special first lady tells us why Lisa rocks.

If you have a chance to make this dinner, or a version of it, I'd love to know what you think and what ingredients you used. Have fun!

*This is where I got creative because I didn't have tomato paste, but I think it was better because of all of the chunky tomatoes.
**I never really add salt to anything, but if you want to, add some salt around this time.

No comments: