Wednesday, March 17, 2010

9:25 a.m.

I designed a handbook for Americans for Informed Democracy and Advocates for Youth, two national organizations that are working to create legislation and to reform sexual and reproductive health and rights on a global level.

The organizations asked for a design that was similar to BodyTalk, but I didn't want the two to look like sister publications (maybe they're just cousins). Although some of the audience is the same as BodyTalk, the handbook is clearly not a zine. I wanted to include colors that would pull you in, and I stuck with a handful of graphic elements. To me, it was really important to keep a consistent look. I didn't want people to get thrown off by the 40+ pages of the handbook, but I also didn't want them to be confused by tons of varying images. I think it's always more fun when designers can set their limitations in a project than when the client implements the restrictions. I was really lucky to have a project like this — one that allowed for so much creative freedom and flexibility.
__



__

__

__

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Looks great! I love the professional look with the whimsy of old postage! Great juxtaposition!