Monday, March 16, 2009

Critique: Week 8

This past week I've been getting more work done on Epic. It's coming together nicely, and the cover photo is gorgeous. I came up with a few cover concepts for the editors to choose, and they've let me know of their final decision. Andrea Guinn, who is mentioned in the post below, did a beautiful job with the magazine this year. I'm trying to take it in another direction. Most of the magazine will be quite formatted, and it's in black and white. I'm excited to say that we have a 16-page color section for photography, which will be quite nice, and I'm working on some splash pages for stories. The trick is to get this all finished by next Monday so the editors can have a week to make changes and I can send it off to print immediately after Spring Break. In case you've made it to this point in the post, I'm sorry for boring you with all of the logistics. I really can't post what I've designed since writers and photographers are only just now finding out if their work was accepted. And so I'm just taking this opportunity to think--or type--out loud.

Here are a few things I'm piecing together so you can get a general vibe of where the book is going.





Also, check out the work of Luke Lisi. He recently graduated from KU and has helped me tremendously with Epic. He and several other designers put Kiosk together a year or two ago.

Many of my ideas have been inspired by Contemporary Graphic Design, by Charlotte and Peter Fiell. It's a beautiful, well-organized book published by Taschen (well, that's the case for all books published by Taschen). Anyway, if you've got money to burn or time to kill, I'd suggest picking up a copy.



Also, I worked on three cover redesigns for Vox this week. I'm pleased with how they turned out, although I'm still in favor the first cover topic from last week. Oh well.

Renovate Style is still moving. We're getting things in order and will have pages to send to the publishers by the end of the week. It's been difficult working with so little copy thus far, but hopefully after Spring Break that side will be ready for us to really design.

1 comment:

Annie Harp said...

Thanks for the tip on the book. I need to expand my collection!